Victorian-inspired event promises an evening of electrifying science 08/09/10
Ever wondered how the human body can endure a bed of nails or why planes can withstand even the severest of lightning storms without falling from the sky?
An electrifying science show taking place in Aberdeen next week will reveal answers to these, and many more intriguing questions.
Taking inspiration from the Victorian public science lectures of a bygone era, a team of scientists from the University of Aberdeen will use a host of grand scale demonstrations to explain some of science's most weird and wonderful facts.
Dramatic experiments set to be performed at the event - which takes place on Tuesday September 14 at the Aberdeen Music Hall, beginning at 7pm - include:
- An audience member will be invited to lie on a bed of one thousand, four inch nails, whilst another member of the audience stands on their chest, to demonstrate the physics of pressure and force
- A one million volt, two metre tall Tesla coil will throw out bolts of lightning towards a member of the audience positioned in a metal cage to demonstrate how metal can protect us from electricity
- The human body's ability to withstand extreme temperatures will be explained using a keg of liquid nitrogen and hot coals
The event - entitled Hall of Science - is this year's British Science Association Music Hall lecture held in association with the University of Aberdeen and Aberdeen Performing Arts.
It is also part of Techfest In September, Aberdeen's annual festival of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) which is supported by joint principal funders BP and Shell
Dr Ken Skeldon, Dr Alun Hughes and Dr Andy Schofield from the University's Public Engagement with Science team will host the event.
Dr Skeldon said: "Public science lectures were highly popular in the Victorian era as a way to communicate science findings of the time to the public, and Aberdeen was no exception.
"However audiences in the north-east of Scotland gained a particularly fearsome reputation for being critical of the science they were witnessing.
"In one historical case study, leading Victorian science communicator George Combe commented that: "No man with the rank of gentleman would act as my assistant, through fear of ridicule". Considering the subject he was promoting was that of phrenology - identifying people's personality traits via the shape of their skull - it seems Aberdeen audiences were perhaps just more savvy than the rest of the UK!
"Our event will hark back to these grand scale public lectures providing the audience with an opportunity to witness spectacular scientific demonstrations, of a type rarely seen these days.
"We'll use a variety of large scale props and experiments to look at fascinating aspects of science - including how our bodies can cope in some surprising situations, thanks to the laws of physics.
"There will be lots of opportunities for audience involvement and we look forward to what promises to be an electrifying evening of spectacular science."
Hall of Science takes place on Tuesday September 14 at Aberdeen Music Hall beginning at 7pm.
Tickets cost £3.50 for Adults and £2 for children and concessions, plus a 10% booking fee.
To purchase tickets visit http://www.boxofficeaberdeen.com/ or call Aberdeen Box Office on 01224 641122.
For more information TechFest In September 2010, visit http://www.techfestsetpoint.org.uk/tis or follow TechFest In September on Facebook and Twitter.
- 16/08/12 TechFest in September returns to add family fun to the British Science Festival
- 10/07/12 MELDRUM HOUSE STRIKES GOLD
- 11/06/12 SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE HEADING TO ABERDEEN IN 2014
- 11/06/12 HAT TRICK FOR MELDRUM HOUSE - GRAMPIAN’S BEST RESTAURANT FOR THIRD TIME
- 04/06/12 BRIAN COX AMONG FAMOUS FACES TO APPEAR AT BRITISH SCIENCE FESTIVAL
- 30/05/12 AECC APPOINTS NEW PR AND MARKETING ASSISTANT
- 22/05/12 Aberdeen to be showcased at Energy Cities Alliance event
- 17/05/12 DIGITAL FUTURES CONFERENCE COMES TO ABERDEEN
- 16/05/12 NATIONAL ARENAS ASSOCIATION COMES TO AECC
- 10/05/12 Aberdeen Convention Bureau showcases region to German Event Organisers
- 08/05/12 9th ANNUAL DEVEX CONFERENCE DRAWS RECORD NUMBER OF TOP GEOLOGISTS, GEOPHYSICISTS AND ENGINEERS TO THE ENERGY CAPITAL OF EUROPE
- 18/04/12 AECC PARK AND RIDE - GRAB A LIFT AND A LATTE!
- 17/04/12 AECC TO WELCOME THE SCOTTISH HOME SHOW
- 02/04/12 THIRTY YEAR BLUEPRINT WILL SEE ABERDEEN AIRPORT TAKE OFF
- 26/03/12 CONFERENCE PROVIDES FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- 26/03/12 WORLD RAISES A TOAST TO WHISKY THANKS TO AN ABERDEEN STUDENT
- 21/03/12 WORLD HEAVY OIL CONGRESS PRELIMINARY MEETING UNDERWAY AT AECC
- 14/03/12 ABERDEEN IS A DESTINATION FIT FOR A QUEEN
- 01/02/12 NEW SCOTTISH HOME 2012 EXHIBITION COMES TO AECC
- 27/01/12 OFFSHORE WIND AND SUPPLY CHAIN CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION 2012 CONFIRMED FOR SECOND YEAR AT AECC
- 23/01/12 TAKING ABERDEEN TO LONDON!
- 28/11/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST AT GLOBAL BUSINESS TOURISM EVENT
- 02/11/11 DEVEX 2012 INVITES ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS!
- 27/10/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SKATES INTO PARTNERSHIP WITH TRANSITION EXTREME
- 26/10/11 LANDMARK OFFICE DEVELOPMENT FOR ABERDEEN CITY CENTRE
- 20/10/11 Site of Aberdeen’s aquatic centre starts to take shape
- 12/10/11 AECC: Winner of the Northern Star Green Award
- 03/10/11 AIRLINE INTRODUCES MORE FLIGHTS FROM ABERDEEN
- 30/09/11 Malmaison win Best Small Hotel Chain at the Business Traveller Awards
- 28/09/11 AECC APPOINTS NEW PCO EXECUTIVE & ICCA SECRETARIAT
- 20/09/11 Controversies of ocean science in spotlight as world marine experts arrive in Aberdeen
- 20/09/11 MELDRUM HOUSE JOINS CULINARY ELITE WITH 2 AA ROSETTES
- 19/09/11 WORLD CONFERENCE ON MARINE BIODIVERSITY CONFERENCE 2011
- 06/09/11 AECC Beats Paris For Conference Win
- 11/07/11 ENERGETICA PROJECT PAVING THE WAY FOR CONFERENCE BUSINESS IN NORTH-EAST OF SCOTLAND
- 27/06/11 New Aberdeen to Frankfurt service connects Europe’s oil and energy capital to Lufthansa’s gateway to the world
- 23/06/11 AECC Appoints Two Non-Executive Board Members
- 14/06/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SECURES CONFERENCES WORTH MORE THAN £1MILLION TO THE NORTH-EAST ECONOMY
- 10/06/11 AECC Shorlisted as a finalist for the Northern Star Green Award
- 08/06/11 CPD Services and Ambassador Event
- 31/05/11 Win for Meldrum House Dining Room
- 31/05/11 AECC Secures Three Prestigious International Conferences
- 31/05/11 Judges praise high standard of skills at Grampian Chef of the Year competition
- 31/05/11 Deeside Hotel wins top award
- 30/05/11 Aberdeen Convention Bureau boss retires
- 24/05/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO SHOWCASE NORTH-EAST ON INTERNATIONAL STAGE
- 23/05/11 Azerbaijan airlines launches long haul flights from Aberdeen
- 09/05/11 GO APE BRINGS UK’s FIRST EVER SKATEBOARD ZIP WIRE TO SCOTLAND
- 28/02/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU FLIES THE FLAG AT CONFEX
- 25/02/11 MELDRUM HOUSE STAFF IN RUNNING FOR TOP AWARDS
- 18/02/11 MALMAISON ABERDEEN SEES RISE IN ROOM HIRE REVENUE WITH ADDITION OF MEETINGS AND EVENTS SPACE
- 16/02/11 Sodexo Prestige Scotland planning major catering expansion in north-east of Scotland
- 07/02/11 EASTERN AIRWAYS LAUNCHES EXTRA SERVICES BETWEEN ABERDEEN AND SOUTHAMPTON
- 19/01/11 CITY AMBASSADORS TO BE RECOGNISED AT AWARDS DINNER
- 29/11/10 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST IN BARCELONA
- 08/11/10 Whytes Coaches wins major industry award
- 21/10/10 MALMAISON SET TO HOST EXCLUSIVE JOHN BYRNE EXHIBITION
- 29/09/10 Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Appoints Peter Sangster as new General Manager
- 28/09/10 Aberdeen Convention Bureau welcomes plans for additional space at offshore Europe 2011
- 13/09/10 Congestion charges and electric cars to be examined at international transport conference
- 13/09/10 Major conference postponed by Icelandic volcanic eruption in April to take place this week.
- 12/09/10 Sunday Times names Robert Gordon University as Scottish University of the Year
- 10/09/10 Milton Restaurant Owners buy Raemoir House Hotel
- 09/09/10 Climate change talk launches new Fraserburgh science series
- 09/09/10 Life’s a beach for tourism twins
- 08/09/10 Victorian-inspired event promises an evening of electrifying science
- 07/09/10 Chart topping Olly Murs part of AECC’s 25th Birthday Celebrations
- 07/09/10 Secrets of the deep and food facts
- 23/08/10 AECC hosts Energy Ball for Third Consecutive Year
- 23/08/10 First Minister hails new Aberdeen hotel and office development as economy booster
- 09/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn opens in Aberdeen
- 03/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre appoints Paul Wood as General Manager
- 27/07/10 Prestigious symposium comes to Scotland for the first time
- 20/07/10 AECC strengthens Sales and Marketing Team with new appointments
- 13/07/10 Top Traditional Music Event comes to Aberdeen
- 30/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalist at International Congress Awards
- 24/06/10 Aberdeen City and Shire - First Choice for conferences in the future
- 22/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalists in today’s prestigious National Venue Award
- 21/06/10 AECC staff shortlisted for National Award
- 21/06/10 Scottish Thistle Awards salute Scotland’s retail heroes
- 15/06/10 £1.6 million centre to develop new drugs from our seas’ natural resources
- 11/06/10 Gut bacteria under the microscope
- 09/06/10 AECC celebrates Silver Anniversary
- 09/06/10 Councillors support Trump’s new blueprint for £750m golf resort
- 09/06/10 World Heavy Oil Congress secured for Aberdeen in 2012
- 31/03/10 Visitors to Benefit from Bus Tours
- 20/11/09 New hotel opens its doors in Aberdeen
- 19/11/09 Aberdeen Convention Bureau congratulates Malmaison