Site of Aberdeenís aquatic centre starts to take shape 20/10/11
The site which will become home to Aberdeen's state-of-the-art aquatic centre has started to take shape with demolition of the former Linksfield Academy now well under way.
Over the last week, the majority of the old school has been torn down, revealing for the first time the scale of the area which will house a 50m swimming pool, diving facilities, spectator seating and a health suite.
The aquatic centre is the next phase of the Aberdeen Sports Village development and will provide long lane training opportunities for elite swimmers who currently have no facilities north of Stirling and provide a community facility that will encourage participation in water-based activities at all ages and abilities.
It is a joint project between the University of Aberdeen, sportscotland and Aberdeen City Council and today (October 19) senior representatives from each of the funding partners will visit the site to see the progress made.
Contractor GRAHAM Construction, which has a strong track record in delivering high quality leisure facilities, including the refurbishment of the Royal Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh, is undertaking the demolition of the school and subsequent building work on the aquatic centre.
Since moving onto the site off King Street in July all of the ‘soft-strip' of the former Linksfield Academy has been completed, including the removal of wood and other recyclable materials from the building.
Undertaking this method of deconstruction has allowed almost 80 per cent of the old school to be recycled.
Demolition work will be completed by the end of November and ground breaking for the new centre is expected to take place towards the end of the year.
Edward Bill, Contracts Manager, GRAHAM Construction, said: "We take our environmental responsibilities very seriously and it's a great result that so much of the material from the demolition of the school will be recycled.
"GRAHAM Construction has a wealth of experience delivering state-of-the-art sports facilities and the Aquatic Centre is an exciting new challenge for the team.
"Work on site is progressing well and piling has begun to lay the foundations of what will be an impressive resource for Aberdeen."
The aquatic centre has enjoyed strong support from the local business community with an anonymous donor committing more than £1million to the project to enable a 10 lane facility to be built and Aberdeen transport giant, FirstGroup, providing a further £100,000 of funding.
Another north-east businessman has also provided a six figure sum in support of the centre, due to open in 2014.
Professor Ian Diamond, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Aberdeen, welcomed progress at the site.
He said: "The aquatic centre will be a wonderful extension to the already successful Aberdeen Sports Village.
"This is a much needed facility which will develop future generations of talent in the north-east of Scotland and help foster a more healthy and active local community."
Aberdeen City Council's convener of Education, Culture and Sport Committee, Councillor John West added: "The 50m pool will create fantastic opportunities to get more people swimming more often. Added to the already highly successful sports village, it will provide access to a complete range of sporting choices, situated in one of the most economically deprived areas of Aberdeen."
Chief Executive of sportscotland Stewart Harris said: "The new Aquatics Centre will provide a first class training and competition venue that will enhance and sustain the successful swimming development structures that have long been in operation in the north-east.
"The pool itself will be one of the best in Europe, not just in Scotland, and features such as the state of the art diving facility, with dry diving apparatus, make this a truly world class facility.
"It is well established partnerships and swimming programmes which have helped this part of the country develop a reputation for producing world class swimmers. The development here will further enhance that reputation and help deliver future success in aquatics."
- 16/08/12 TechFest in September returns to add family fun to the British Science Festival
- 10/07/12 MELDRUM HOUSE STRIKES GOLD
- 11/06/12 SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE HEADING TO ABERDEEN IN 2014
- 11/06/12 HAT TRICK FOR MELDRUM HOUSE - GRAMPIANíS BEST RESTAURANT FOR THIRD TIME
- 04/06/12 BRIAN COX AMONG FAMOUS FACES TO APPEAR AT BRITISH SCIENCE FESTIVAL
- 30/05/12 AECC APPOINTS NEW PR AND MARKETING ASSISTANT
- 22/05/12 Aberdeen to be showcased at Energy Cities Alliance event
- 17/05/12 DIGITAL FUTURES CONFERENCE COMES TO ABERDEEN
- 16/05/12 NATIONAL ARENAS ASSOCIATION COMES TO AECC
- 10/05/12 Aberdeen Convention Bureau showcases region to German Event Organisers
- 08/05/12 9th ANNUAL DEVEX CONFERENCE DRAWS RECORD NUMBER OF TOP GEOLOGISTS, GEOPHYSICISTS AND ENGINEERS TO THE ENERGY CAPITAL OF EUROPE
- 18/04/12 AECC PARK AND RIDE - GRAB A LIFT AND A LATTE!
- 17/04/12 AECC TO WELCOME THE SCOTTISH HOME SHOW
- 02/04/12 THIRTY YEAR BLUEPRINT WILL SEE ABERDEEN AIRPORT TAKE OFF
- 26/03/12 CONFERENCE PROVIDES FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- 26/03/12 WORLD RAISES A TOAST TO WHISKY THANKS TO AN ABERDEEN STUDENT
- 21/03/12 WORLD HEAVY OIL CONGRESS PRELIMINARY MEETING UNDERWAY AT AECC
- 14/03/12 ABERDEEN IS A DESTINATION FIT FOR A QUEEN
- 01/02/12 NEW SCOTTISH HOME 2012 EXHIBITION COMES TO AECC
- 27/01/12 OFFSHORE WIND AND SUPPLY CHAIN CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION 2012 CONFIRMED FOR SECOND YEAR AT AECC
- 23/01/12 TAKING ABERDEEN TO LONDON!
- 28/11/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST AT GLOBAL BUSINESS TOURISM EVENT
- 02/11/11 DEVEX 2012 INVITES ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS!
- 27/10/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SKATES INTO PARTNERSHIP WITH TRANSITION EXTREME
- 26/10/11 LANDMARK OFFICE DEVELOPMENT FOR ABERDEEN CITY CENTRE
- 20/10/11 Site of Aberdeenís aquatic centre starts to take shape
- 12/10/11 AECC: Winner of the Northern Star Green Award
- 03/10/11 AIRLINE INTRODUCES MORE FLIGHTS FROM ABERDEEN
- 30/09/11 Malmaison win Best Small Hotel Chain at the Business Traveller Awards
- 28/09/11 AECC APPOINTS NEW PCO EXECUTIVE & ICCA SECRETARIAT
- 20/09/11 Controversies of ocean science in spotlight as world marine experts arrive in Aberdeen
- 20/09/11 MELDRUM HOUSE JOINS CULINARY ELITE WITH 2 AA ROSETTES
- 19/09/11 WORLD CONFERENCE ON MARINE BIODIVERSITY CONFERENCE 2011
- 06/09/11 AECC Beats Paris For Conference Win
- 11/07/11 ENERGETICA PROJECT PAVING THE WAY FOR CONFERENCE BUSINESS IN NORTH-EAST OF SCOTLAND
- 27/06/11 New Aberdeen to Frankfurt service connects Europeís oil and energy capital to Lufthansaís gateway to the world
- 23/06/11 AECC Appoints Two Non-Executive Board Members
- 14/06/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SECURES CONFERENCES WORTH MORE THAN £1MILLION TO THE NORTH-EAST ECONOMY
- 10/06/11 AECC Shorlisted as a finalist for the Northern Star Green Award
- 08/06/11 CPD Services and Ambassador Event
- 31/05/11 Win for Meldrum House Dining Room
- 31/05/11 AECC Secures Three Prestigious International Conferences
- 31/05/11 Judges praise high standard of skills at Grampian Chef of the Year competition
- 31/05/11 Deeside Hotel wins top award
- 30/05/11 Aberdeen Convention Bureau boss retires
- 24/05/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO SHOWCASE NORTH-EAST ON INTERNATIONAL STAGE
- 23/05/11 Azerbaijan airlines launches long haul flights from Aberdeen
- 09/05/11 GO APE BRINGS UKís FIRST EVER SKATEBOARD ZIP WIRE TO SCOTLAND
- 28/02/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU FLIES THE FLAG AT CONFEX
- 25/02/11 MELDRUM HOUSE STAFF IN RUNNING FOR TOP AWARDS
- 18/02/11 MALMAISON ABERDEEN SEES RISE IN ROOM HIRE REVENUE WITH ADDITION OF MEETINGS AND EVENTS SPACE
- 16/02/11 Sodexo Prestige Scotland planning major catering expansion in north-east of Scotland
- 07/02/11 EASTERN AIRWAYS LAUNCHES EXTRA SERVICES BETWEEN ABERDEEN AND SOUTHAMPTON
- 19/01/11 CITY AMBASSADORS TO BE RECOGNISED AT AWARDS DINNER
- 29/11/10 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST IN BARCELONA
- 08/11/10 Whytes Coaches wins major industry award
- 21/10/10 MALMAISON SET TO HOST EXCLUSIVE JOHN BYRNE EXHIBITION
- 29/09/10 Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Appoints Peter Sangster as new General Manager
- 28/09/10 Aberdeen Convention Bureau welcomes plans for additional space at offshore Europe 2011
- 13/09/10 Congestion charges and electric cars to be examined at international transport conference
- 13/09/10 Major conference postponed by Icelandic volcanic eruption in April to take place this week.
- 12/09/10 Sunday Times names Robert Gordon University as Scottish University of the Year
- 10/09/10 Milton Restaurant Owners buy Raemoir House Hotel
- 09/09/10 Climate change talk launches new Fraserburgh science series
- 09/09/10 Lifeís a beach for tourism twins
- 08/09/10 Victorian-inspired event promises an evening of electrifying science
- 07/09/10 Chart topping Olly Murs part of AECCís 25th Birthday Celebrations
- 07/09/10 Secrets of the deep and food facts
- 23/08/10 AECC hosts Energy Ball for Third Consecutive Year
- 23/08/10 First Minister hails new Aberdeen hotel and office development as economy booster
- 09/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn opens in Aberdeen
- 03/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre appoints Paul Wood as General Manager
- 27/07/10 Prestigious symposium comes to Scotland for the first time
- 20/07/10 AECC strengthens Sales and Marketing Team with new appointments
- 13/07/10 Top Traditional Music Event comes to Aberdeen
- 30/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalist at International Congress Awards
- 24/06/10 Aberdeen City and Shire - First Choice for conferences in the future
- 22/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalists in todayís prestigious National Venue Award
- 21/06/10 AECC staff shortlisted for National Award
- 21/06/10 Scottish Thistle Awards salute Scotlandís retail heroes
- 15/06/10 £1.6 million centre to develop new drugs from our seasí natural resources
- 11/06/10 Gut bacteria under the microscope
- 09/06/10 AECC celebrates Silver Anniversary
- 09/06/10 Councillors support Trumpís new blueprint for £750m golf resort
- 09/06/10 World Heavy Oil Congress secured for Aberdeen in 2012
- 31/03/10 Visitors to Benefit from Bus Tours
- 20/11/09 New hotel opens its doors in Aberdeen
- 19/11/09 Aberdeen Convention Bureau congratulates Malmaison