ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO SHOWCASE NORTH-EAST ON INTERNATIONAL STAGE 24/05/11
Aberdeen will be showcased on an international stage this week, at a leading event in Frankfurt for the conference and meetings industry.
Aberdeen Convention Bureau is to be represented at IMEX 2011, which is set to attract thousands of buyers, including more than 4,000 buyers from the valuable German outbound market, as well as around 3,500 exhibitors from around 150 countries.
Business tourism is crucial to the wider Scottish economy, with an economic benefit of £1billion a year, and Aberdeen Convention Bureau was involved in generating more than £10million worth of conference business to the North-east this year.
The event, from tomorrow until Thursday (May 24-26), is seen as a key opportunity to highlight Aberdeen as a conference destination, particularly in light of recent developments, new hotels and increased connectivity through the city's airport.
Jacky Selway, manager of Aberdeen Convention Bureau said: "Last year there were more than 3,800 hosted buyers from around the world at IMEX, in addition to over 5,000 visitors from 90 countries, so this is a vital opportunity to sell Aberdeen City and Shire to a huge international audience and let buyers and event organisers know we are now in a strong position to attract major conference business.
"In the coming years, flagship developments such as the Trump golf resort will open and we will continue to benefit from increased connectivity through Aberdeen Airport, including the newly announced flights to Baku with Azerbaijan Airlines, and flights to the US via Dublin.
"It is important to be able to continually upgrade and showcase our offering to make us more able to attract the international conference market and successfully compete for business against other cities in the UK and overseas."
Aberdeen Convention Bureau will also join forces with its partners in the Energy Cities Alliance - Calgary, Abu Dhabi and Perth, Australia - to host an Energiser Breakfast for invited IMEX 2011 delegates.
Along with its partners - from hotels and activity centres to shops and restaurants - the bureau is responsible for submitting bid proposals for major events, and provides comprehensive support for conferences and associations, including the securing of venues.
The team at Aberdeen Convention Bureau attracts new conferences to the region, travelling worldwide to pursue business, attending global trade missions and networking events with buyers and decision makers.
- 16/08/12 TechFest in September returns to add family fun to the British Science Festival
- 10/07/12 MELDRUM HOUSE STRIKES GOLD
- 11/06/12 SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE HEADING TO ABERDEEN IN 2014
- 11/06/12 HAT TRICK FOR MELDRUM HOUSE - GRAMPIAN’S BEST RESTAURANT FOR THIRD TIME
- 04/06/12 BRIAN COX AMONG FAMOUS FACES TO APPEAR AT BRITISH SCIENCE FESTIVAL
- 30/05/12 AECC APPOINTS NEW PR AND MARKETING ASSISTANT
- 22/05/12 Aberdeen to be showcased at Energy Cities Alliance event
- 17/05/12 DIGITAL FUTURES CONFERENCE COMES TO ABERDEEN
- 16/05/12 NATIONAL ARENAS ASSOCIATION COMES TO AECC
- 10/05/12 Aberdeen Convention Bureau showcases region to German Event Organisers
- 08/05/12 9th ANNUAL DEVEX CONFERENCE DRAWS RECORD NUMBER OF TOP GEOLOGISTS, GEOPHYSICISTS AND ENGINEERS TO THE ENERGY CAPITAL OF EUROPE
- 18/04/12 AECC PARK AND RIDE - GRAB A LIFT AND A LATTE!
- 17/04/12 AECC TO WELCOME THE SCOTTISH HOME SHOW
- 02/04/12 THIRTY YEAR BLUEPRINT WILL SEE ABERDEEN AIRPORT TAKE OFF
- 26/03/12 CONFERENCE PROVIDES FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- 26/03/12 WORLD RAISES A TOAST TO WHISKY THANKS TO AN ABERDEEN STUDENT
- 21/03/12 WORLD HEAVY OIL CONGRESS PRELIMINARY MEETING UNDERWAY AT AECC
- 14/03/12 ABERDEEN IS A DESTINATION FIT FOR A QUEEN
- 01/02/12 NEW SCOTTISH HOME 2012 EXHIBITION COMES TO AECC
- 27/01/12 OFFSHORE WIND AND SUPPLY CHAIN CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION 2012 CONFIRMED FOR SECOND YEAR AT AECC
- 23/01/12 TAKING ABERDEEN TO LONDON!
- 28/11/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST AT GLOBAL BUSINESS TOURISM EVENT
- 02/11/11 DEVEX 2012 INVITES ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS!
- 27/10/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SKATES INTO PARTNERSHIP WITH TRANSITION EXTREME
- 26/10/11 LANDMARK OFFICE DEVELOPMENT FOR ABERDEEN CITY CENTRE
- 20/10/11 Site of Aberdeen’s aquatic centre starts to take shape
- 12/10/11 AECC: Winner of the Northern Star Green Award
- 03/10/11 AIRLINE INTRODUCES MORE FLIGHTS FROM ABERDEEN
- 30/09/11 Malmaison win Best Small Hotel Chain at the Business Traveller Awards
- 28/09/11 AECC APPOINTS NEW PCO EXECUTIVE & ICCA SECRETARIAT
- 20/09/11 Controversies of ocean science in spotlight as world marine experts arrive in Aberdeen
- 20/09/11 MELDRUM HOUSE JOINS CULINARY ELITE WITH 2 AA ROSETTES
- 19/09/11 WORLD CONFERENCE ON MARINE BIODIVERSITY CONFERENCE 2011
- 06/09/11 AECC Beats Paris For Conference Win
- 11/07/11 ENERGETICA PROJECT PAVING THE WAY FOR CONFERENCE BUSINESS IN NORTH-EAST OF SCOTLAND
- 27/06/11 New Aberdeen to Frankfurt service connects Europe’s oil and energy capital to Lufthansa’s gateway to the world
- 23/06/11 AECC Appoints Two Non-Executive Board Members
- 14/06/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SECURES CONFERENCES WORTH MORE THAN £1MILLION TO THE NORTH-EAST ECONOMY
- 10/06/11 AECC Shorlisted as a finalist for the Northern Star Green Award
- 08/06/11 CPD Services and Ambassador Event
- 31/05/11 Win for Meldrum House Dining Room
- 31/05/11 AECC Secures Three Prestigious International Conferences
- 31/05/11 Judges praise high standard of skills at Grampian Chef of the Year competition
- 31/05/11 Deeside Hotel wins top award
- 30/05/11 Aberdeen Convention Bureau boss retires
- 24/05/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO SHOWCASE NORTH-EAST ON INTERNATIONAL STAGE
- 23/05/11 Azerbaijan airlines launches long haul flights from Aberdeen
- 09/05/11 GO APE BRINGS UK’s FIRST EVER SKATEBOARD ZIP WIRE TO SCOTLAND
- 28/02/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU FLIES THE FLAG AT CONFEX
- 25/02/11 MELDRUM HOUSE STAFF IN RUNNING FOR TOP AWARDS
- 18/02/11 MALMAISON ABERDEEN SEES RISE IN ROOM HIRE REVENUE WITH ADDITION OF MEETINGS AND EVENTS SPACE
- 16/02/11 Sodexo Prestige Scotland planning major catering expansion in north-east of Scotland
- 07/02/11 EASTERN AIRWAYS LAUNCHES EXTRA SERVICES BETWEEN ABERDEEN AND SOUTHAMPTON
- 19/01/11 CITY AMBASSADORS TO BE RECOGNISED AT AWARDS DINNER
- 29/11/10 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST IN BARCELONA
- 08/11/10 Whytes Coaches wins major industry award
- 21/10/10 MALMAISON SET TO HOST EXCLUSIVE JOHN BYRNE EXHIBITION
- 29/09/10 Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Appoints Peter Sangster as new General Manager
- 28/09/10 Aberdeen Convention Bureau welcomes plans for additional space at offshore Europe 2011
- 13/09/10 Congestion charges and electric cars to be examined at international transport conference
- 13/09/10 Major conference postponed by Icelandic volcanic eruption in April to take place this week.
- 12/09/10 Sunday Times names Robert Gordon University as Scottish University of the Year
- 10/09/10 Milton Restaurant Owners buy Raemoir House Hotel
- 09/09/10 Climate change talk launches new Fraserburgh science series
- 09/09/10 Life’s a beach for tourism twins
- 08/09/10 Victorian-inspired event promises an evening of electrifying science
- 07/09/10 Chart topping Olly Murs part of AECC’s 25th Birthday Celebrations
- 07/09/10 Secrets of the deep and food facts
- 23/08/10 AECC hosts Energy Ball for Third Consecutive Year
- 23/08/10 First Minister hails new Aberdeen hotel and office development as economy booster
- 09/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn opens in Aberdeen
- 03/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre appoints Paul Wood as General Manager
- 27/07/10 Prestigious symposium comes to Scotland for the first time
- 20/07/10 AECC strengthens Sales and Marketing Team with new appointments
- 13/07/10 Top Traditional Music Event comes to Aberdeen
- 30/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalist at International Congress Awards
- 24/06/10 Aberdeen City and Shire - First Choice for conferences in the future
- 22/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalists in today’s prestigious National Venue Award
- 21/06/10 AECC staff shortlisted for National Award
- 21/06/10 Scottish Thistle Awards salute Scotland’s retail heroes
- 15/06/10 £1.6 million centre to develop new drugs from our seas’ natural resources
- 11/06/10 Gut bacteria under the microscope
- 09/06/10 AECC celebrates Silver Anniversary
- 09/06/10 Councillors support Trump’s new blueprint for £750m golf resort
- 09/06/10 World Heavy Oil Congress secured for Aberdeen in 2012
- 31/03/10 Visitors to Benefit from Bus Tours
- 20/11/09 New hotel opens its doors in Aberdeen
- 19/11/09 Aberdeen Convention Bureau congratulates Malmaison