ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SECURES CONFERENCES WORTH MORE THAN £1MILLION TO THE NORTH-EAST ECONOMY 14/06/11
Aberdeen Convention Bureau has secured a raft of new conferences for the city, which will inject more than £1million into the local economy and bring hundreds of delegates to the North-east.
The Global Business Travel Association is to hold its Oil, Gas and Marine Travel Conference at the Thistle Aberdeen Altens Hotel in October this year, attracting 110 delegates over two days.
The Universities' Travel Studies Group (UTSG) Conference was secured for January 4-6, 2012, which will bring up to 130 delegates to the University of Aberdeen. The event was won with the help of Professor John Nelson, who is one of the bureau's team of academic ambassadors.
The bureau has also confirmed the 2015 International Conference on the Bioscience of Lipids (ICBL) for Aberdeen, expected to draw up to 400 people.
The Society of Core Analysts (SCA), which is to hold its annual symposium in Aberdeen for the first time in October 2012, opted for the Granite City instead of returning to Abu Dhabi, reinforcing the city's position as a strong destination for business tourism.
The five-day symposium was secured with the help of ambassadors Mrs Izaskun Zubizarreta and Mr Craig Lindsay, who persuaded the board to choose Aberdeen as its destination.
Alesia du Plessis, conference support manager at Aberdeen Convention Bureau, said the decision of the SCA to come to Aberdeen cemented its reputation as a conference destination.
"These new wins show the strength of the business tourism sector, and its growing importance to the local economy," she said.
"We are now better able to compete internationally for conferences, thanks to recent investments which have resulted in increased bedrooms, new hotel and conference facilities and major developments such as the Trump golf resort and improved links from Aberdeen Airport.
"However, the new conferences are not only important to the region in economic terms, they also put the spotlight on the wide-range of expertise that is so prevalent throughout the region, from energy to life sciences and food and drink."
Bas Schipper, from the SCA 2011 board, said around 200 delegates would be travelling to Aberdeen for the first time.
"The SCA was founded 25 years ago in Dallas and was purely US focused, so the first symposiums were held in the USA before we decided to alternate between the USA and Europe," he said.
"However, we held the event in Abu Dhabi in 2000 and the success of those conferences and demand from local companies meant we returned to Abu Dhabi in 2004 and 2008.
"We got various requests to return to Abu Dhabi in 2012 but the board decided to go to Aberdeen for the first time. Without volunteers the symposium cannot operate but given it is the Energy Capital of Europe, we knew various local people were willing to join a committee to organise the event - and we will be calling on their expertise!"
The team at Aberdeen Convention Bureau proactively promotes Aberdeen City and Shire to attract new conferences to the region, travelling worldwide to pursue business, attending global trade missions and networking events with buyers and decision makers.
Several of the recent wins have been brought in by the bureau's network of ambassadors, who work in the academic and corporate communities throughout the local area.
Many of those appointed as conference ambassadors have a high profile within specialist fields such as oil and gas, health, food research, science and environmental research.
Ambassadors work to promote Aberdeen City and Shire as an attractive conference destination by attracting key meetings and seminars to the area, focusing attention on the region and encouraging local economic growth.
In return, the scheme allows ambassadors to showcase their research and raise their own profile within their area of specialism, giving their subject matter a wider audience through Aberdeen Convention Bureau's support and promotion.
For more information on Aberdeen Convention Bureau, call 01224 288815 or visit www.aberdeenconferences.com
- 16/08/12 TechFest in September returns to add family fun to the British Science Festival
- 10/07/12 MELDRUM HOUSE STRIKES GOLD
- 11/06/12 SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE HEADING TO ABERDEEN IN 2014
- 11/06/12 HAT TRICK FOR MELDRUM HOUSE - GRAMPIAN’S BEST RESTAURANT FOR THIRD TIME
- 04/06/12 BRIAN COX AMONG FAMOUS FACES TO APPEAR AT BRITISH SCIENCE FESTIVAL
- 30/05/12 AECC APPOINTS NEW PR AND MARKETING ASSISTANT
- 22/05/12 Aberdeen to be showcased at Energy Cities Alliance event
- 17/05/12 DIGITAL FUTURES CONFERENCE COMES TO ABERDEEN
- 16/05/12 NATIONAL ARENAS ASSOCIATION COMES TO AECC
- 10/05/12 Aberdeen Convention Bureau showcases region to German Event Organisers
- 08/05/12 9th ANNUAL DEVEX CONFERENCE DRAWS RECORD NUMBER OF TOP GEOLOGISTS, GEOPHYSICISTS AND ENGINEERS TO THE ENERGY CAPITAL OF EUROPE
- 18/04/12 AECC PARK AND RIDE - GRAB A LIFT AND A LATTE!
- 17/04/12 AECC TO WELCOME THE SCOTTISH HOME SHOW
- 02/04/12 THIRTY YEAR BLUEPRINT WILL SEE ABERDEEN AIRPORT TAKE OFF
- 26/03/12 CONFERENCE PROVIDES FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- 26/03/12 WORLD RAISES A TOAST TO WHISKY THANKS TO AN ABERDEEN STUDENT
- 21/03/12 WORLD HEAVY OIL CONGRESS PRELIMINARY MEETING UNDERWAY AT AECC
- 14/03/12 ABERDEEN IS A DESTINATION FIT FOR A QUEEN
- 01/02/12 NEW SCOTTISH HOME 2012 EXHIBITION COMES TO AECC
- 27/01/12 OFFSHORE WIND AND SUPPLY CHAIN CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION 2012 CONFIRMED FOR SECOND YEAR AT AECC
- 23/01/12 TAKING ABERDEEN TO LONDON!
- 28/11/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST AT GLOBAL BUSINESS TOURISM EVENT
- 02/11/11 DEVEX 2012 INVITES ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS!
- 27/10/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SKATES INTO PARTNERSHIP WITH TRANSITION EXTREME
- 26/10/11 LANDMARK OFFICE DEVELOPMENT FOR ABERDEEN CITY CENTRE
- 20/10/11 Site of Aberdeen’s aquatic centre starts to take shape
- 12/10/11 AECC: Winner of the Northern Star Green Award
- 03/10/11 AIRLINE INTRODUCES MORE FLIGHTS FROM ABERDEEN
- 30/09/11 Malmaison win Best Small Hotel Chain at the Business Traveller Awards
- 28/09/11 AECC APPOINTS NEW PCO EXECUTIVE & ICCA SECRETARIAT
- 20/09/11 Controversies of ocean science in spotlight as world marine experts arrive in Aberdeen
- 20/09/11 MELDRUM HOUSE JOINS CULINARY ELITE WITH 2 AA ROSETTES
- 19/09/11 WORLD CONFERENCE ON MARINE BIODIVERSITY CONFERENCE 2011
- 06/09/11 AECC Beats Paris For Conference Win
- 11/07/11 ENERGETICA PROJECT PAVING THE WAY FOR CONFERENCE BUSINESS IN NORTH-EAST OF SCOTLAND
- 27/06/11 New Aberdeen to Frankfurt service connects Europe’s oil and energy capital to Lufthansa’s gateway to the world
- 23/06/11 AECC Appoints Two Non-Executive Board Members
- 14/06/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU SECURES CONFERENCES WORTH MORE THAN £1MILLION TO THE NORTH-EAST ECONOMY
- 10/06/11 AECC Shorlisted as a finalist for the Northern Star Green Award
- 08/06/11 CPD Services and Ambassador Event
- 31/05/11 Win for Meldrum House Dining Room
- 31/05/11 AECC Secures Three Prestigious International Conferences
- 31/05/11 Judges praise high standard of skills at Grampian Chef of the Year competition
- 31/05/11 Deeside Hotel wins top award
- 30/05/11 Aberdeen Convention Bureau boss retires
- 24/05/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO SHOWCASE NORTH-EAST ON INTERNATIONAL STAGE
- 23/05/11 Azerbaijan airlines launches long haul flights from Aberdeen
- 09/05/11 GO APE BRINGS UK’s FIRST EVER SKATEBOARD ZIP WIRE TO SCOTLAND
- 28/02/11 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU FLIES THE FLAG AT CONFEX
- 25/02/11 MELDRUM HOUSE STAFF IN RUNNING FOR TOP AWARDS
- 18/02/11 MALMAISON ABERDEEN SEES RISE IN ROOM HIRE REVENUE WITH ADDITION OF MEETINGS AND EVENTS SPACE
- 16/02/11 Sodexo Prestige Scotland planning major catering expansion in north-east of Scotland
- 07/02/11 EASTERN AIRWAYS LAUNCHES EXTRA SERVICES BETWEEN ABERDEEN AND SOUTHAMPTON
- 19/01/11 CITY AMBASSADORS TO BE RECOGNISED AT AWARDS DINNER
- 29/11/10 ABERDEEN CONVENTION BUREAU TO PROMOTE NORTH-EAST IN BARCELONA
- 08/11/10 Whytes Coaches wins major industry award
- 21/10/10 MALMAISON SET TO HOST EXCLUSIVE JOHN BYRNE EXHIBITION
- 29/09/10 Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Appoints Peter Sangster as new General Manager
- 28/09/10 Aberdeen Convention Bureau welcomes plans for additional space at offshore Europe 2011
- 13/09/10 Congestion charges and electric cars to be examined at international transport conference
- 13/09/10 Major conference postponed by Icelandic volcanic eruption in April to take place this week.
- 12/09/10 Sunday Times names Robert Gordon University as Scottish University of the Year
- 10/09/10 Milton Restaurant Owners buy Raemoir House Hotel
- 09/09/10 Climate change talk launches new Fraserburgh science series
- 09/09/10 Life’s a beach for tourism twins
- 08/09/10 Victorian-inspired event promises an evening of electrifying science
- 07/09/10 Chart topping Olly Murs part of AECC’s 25th Birthday Celebrations
- 07/09/10 Secrets of the deep and food facts
- 23/08/10 AECC hosts Energy Ball for Third Consecutive Year
- 23/08/10 First Minister hails new Aberdeen hotel and office development as economy booster
- 09/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn opens in Aberdeen
- 03/08/10 Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre appoints Paul Wood as General Manager
- 27/07/10 Prestigious symposium comes to Scotland for the first time
- 20/07/10 AECC strengthens Sales and Marketing Team with new appointments
- 13/07/10 Top Traditional Music Event comes to Aberdeen
- 30/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalist at International Congress Awards
- 24/06/10 Aberdeen City and Shire - First Choice for conferences in the future
- 22/06/10 AECC only Scottish finalists in today’s prestigious National Venue Award
- 21/06/10 AECC staff shortlisted for National Award
- 21/06/10 Scottish Thistle Awards salute Scotland’s retail heroes
- 15/06/10 £1.6 million centre to develop new drugs from our seas’ natural resources
- 11/06/10 Gut bacteria under the microscope
- 09/06/10 AECC celebrates Silver Anniversary
- 09/06/10 Councillors support Trump’s new blueprint for £750m golf resort
- 09/06/10 World Heavy Oil Congress secured for Aberdeen in 2012
- 31/03/10 Visitors to Benefit from Bus Tours
- 20/11/09 New hotel opens its doors in Aberdeen
- 19/11/09 Aberdeen Convention Bureau congratulates Malmaison